Setting up the HLS server
- Click the Configure button under Output Settings on the Encoder Control page
- Navigate to the HLS tab of the pop-up menu
- Set the number of segments and segment length. Our defaults are 10 segments at a length of 2 seconds.
- Click the ON/OFF switch to ON
- Click Apply
Viewing the HLS stream on a local network
Enter the URL listed in the pop-up into a video player that supports HLS. Wowza streaming servers can also be used with HLS Pull to pull the HLS stream from the Videon device.
This can also be done by entering the URL into the URL bar of a browser that supports HLS playback. Below is a list of suggestions:
- Chrome browser using the Native HLS Playback extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/native-hls-playback/emnphkkblegpebimobpbekeedfgemhof?hl=en-US
- Microsoft Edge browser
- Safari browser
- Chrome or Safari on a smartphone
Viewing the stream on a non-local network
The instructions are largely the same, except that port forwarding is required to enable a client connection to the HLS server hosted on the Videon device.
For instructions on how to port forward, read this guide.
Once the port forwarding has been completed, you can enter the following into the above browsers or a non-local network HLS player: http://[Public IP address]/live/playlist.m3u8